Recap of Week1
Before starting 2nd Week you should have completed:
1) Identified 3 forums in your niche or related niche which are active and have members posting and participating each day.
2) Created 2 different profiles for each of these 3 forums. Completed the profile bio to make it as real as possible.
3) Started participating in the forums signing in with each profile at separate times. You should have mingled with the community to ask Questions, post comment in existing conversation.
4) Using buzzsumo and niche related keywords, identified 2 popular content in your niche that has been liked or shared a lot.
5) Created a blog category or section in your site where you can re-purpose and post these content in future. Completed planning and noting down how you can enhance the content including using graphics and videos .
So let’s now start with the tactic we are going to implement this week.
So this tactic is all about channelling Traffic by working on others narcissism 🙂
But for this to work well and give you the biggest advantage there is one Pre requisite: Your site should look like a – Big brand!
So if you have not completed the steps I mentioned in the Primer before starting first week’s course complete those.
And here’s a bare minimum of what your website should have to give your site big brand look in your Niche:
- A good Logo. If you don’t have it yet, get it done through Fiverr
- Responsive Design – Mobile and Tablet Ready without losing functionality.
- Contact Info – Physical Addresses, & Map.
- Necessary Privacy and Disclaimer Pages.
- A good About Us Page.
- A beginner/start up guide in your niche(every niche has beginners).
- Web 2,0 and social links claimed for your brand name as discussed last week.
- Social profiles done professionally and at least 5k followers. You should at least have complete Twitter profile with followers.To give it a boost you can start with buying followers from Fiverr (actually of no use, but just for the start). Then use Tweepi to grow real followers and Hootsuite for interaction. Free versions of both tool are enough to get you going.
- A commenting system in your website (you can opt to install either discus or facebook comment).
- Good content covering most of the basic questions, problems faced by your niche.
(start with 20 pages then grow slowly each week using more and more long tail keywords). Make the content visual with quotes, graphs, Infographic. You can do all visual enhancement without spending a dime through canva.
- An invitation to become subscriber for more advanced content i.e lead capture (preferably at end of each content piece )So if you don’t have above in your sites yet, stop here and first schedule the above list in your weekly routine. Frankly speaking you can knock 90% of the above in a 2 day’s work. Remaining task you can schedule for the entire week dedicating 1 hr of focused effort.
After you complete your sites Big Brand look and feel – it’s time to ego bait and make others send traffic to you.
Once you have practiced this 2 to 3 times you will have a ready group of people who will send you more traffic and spread your content in their network.
This is different than general post round ups or ego baiting articles in the fact that you do not go after the main influencers in your niche.
Instead, you target those blogs or sites which are coming up and have not yet become a big influencer, but an emerging star in your niche.
Most of these blogs will be run by a single individual or maximum by a group of 2-3 people.
So when you approach these blog owners with your big brand look and feature their blog in your site, they will be more receptive and are likely to promote your ego bait everywhere in their network – feeling proud that they have been featured in a bigger brand website.
So here are the steps to follow:
Step #1 : Make a list of your potential targets
Say your site is in bedroom furniture niche. You go a little broad and use the following search term in Google “top home decoration blogs”. And here’s a sample of results Google returned.
Right off the bat you have several good candidates that have all listed out a number of blogs which they found to best in the niche.
Let’s check one of the page Google returned above and here’s what I saw:
This is exactly what we wanted . A list of links for blogs in home decoration niche. For this page we have a bonus – i.e Twitter handle for each blog owner – which we will use later.
Next step is to go through first two pages of Google result and collect this list of sites (and also social media contact if provided) in an Excel sheet.
Another little faster way is to use this bookmarklet on the individual pages . This will give you a list of the links a page has which will include the internal links for the site. You can clean that list by using notepad++ text editor like this…
So now you have a list of target domains for ego baiting.
Tip: You can go one step further and visit the people who comments on the blogs you have listed and use the same Google bookmarklet tool to get list of the commenter’s’ blogs to build an even bigger target list.
Remember, less popular blogs owned by single or a small group of individuals will give you more response.
Step #2 Trim the target list
This is the most time taking and boring job which can be outsourced. Here are the criteria to trim:
1.The blog is still fresh and active and has at least one new blog post generated in the last 1 month.
2.The blog is run by one person, or small group of individuals, that will likely be grateful to be listed as part of the best blogs in the niche
3.The person running the blog has people commenting on the blogs and have at least 2k followers in social media (twitter/facebook/)
Step #3: Create the Ego bait Content
This is the easiest part and again can be outsourced easily.
It doesn’t require any specific knowledge on your niche.
You simply send the excel sheet of the final blog list to the writer. .All the writer needs to do is visit these websites, rewrite a few snippets from their about pages, throw in a few compliments, and it’s done!
Before you assign the complete job to a writer give him/her 2-3 sites to write a 100 word blurb and decide whether the writer is a good fit.
Step #4 Enhance the Content Visually
So with jing you snip a section of a target blog like this:
…and then use tool like pixlr to rotate it slightly or add any enhancement you want to add.
Do this for all the websites in your trimmed list.
Once you have all of them completed and your post is published it’s time to reach out to the blog owners and let them know that you have selected their blog to be featured as “best blog in……. “ whatever niche you are.
Step #5 : Send the Ego Bait To your Targets
You can manually, send the email to the prospect target list, but it will be much faster with buzzstream. You can get a 14 days free trial here.
Here’s a tutorial on how to use buzzstream for faster and smoother outreach
Here’s a free alternative of buzzstream : Yesware
Create an email template like the following
Hey [First Name],
This is <name > from your <big brand> site . We have chosen to feature your blog <target blogname> as an upcoming “best blog in < niche>” We have featured you in this week’s article <your blog url>
Your blog have been chosen out of <total number before you have trimmed> and ended up in our list for <criteria 1> and/ <criteria 2>
Feel free to share this in your Network and Friends
You can check it out here: [insert url]
Keep up the good Work
P.S: Our content developer have visited your blog and chosen what to feature about your blog. If you think there is a need to modify it, send it to us before you share it with your network.
Say you get just 20 bloggers proudly featuring the ego bait in their network and even blogs and say on average just 150 people in their network sees it and decides to visit your blog, you have 3000 targeted traffic to your site.
Plus you can repeat this every month with new list.
And every time you do it you can have different hooks to bait. For example –
list of best Infographic published in your niche
list of top 20 blogs for <keyword> inspiration published .
Example – “Top 20 blogs that published amazing kitchen decor” , next “Top ..master bedroom decor” and so on…
It’s only limited to your creativity!
However, the most important part in this whole effort is how you use the traffic sent on your way by others.
As I said before, your site should be ready to capture the traffic so that you can remarket and send them offers tied to their interest. So keep that objective in mind.
Now that you have the detail tactic handed over to you let’s move on to this week’s Action Plan